Monday 24 February 2014

Evaluation Question 7 - Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

The purpose of preliminary task was to introduce us on how to operate the camera and to give us an opportunity to learn how to operate the tripod effectively. We also looked at different camera angels and sizes to help us practicing our cinematography filming techniques and have the basic understanding of filming and editing. During the preliminary task, the whole group had a go at filming and editing to trial out and  then we had to nominate the best person at each role to divide up the roles to gain the best use for ourselves for the final production.
We also learnt how to use the 180 degree rule and how to put together an edit by using Final Cut Pro.
Preliminary task:

Where my technical ability has improved:
- When looking back at my preliminary task, I have realized how much improvement I have made during the process of filming my thriller opening and handling the camera as well as the tripod. This is because at first, I didn’t have any techniques nor understanding of filming and editing. Due to this reason, I found it difficult to hold the camera steadily and operate the tripod as well as combining the use of it with the camera. 
- As a camera operator of the group, one of the good things I was able to do was filming on action (opening the door). This has improved in my thriller production because my framing of characters and their actions was a lot better and I learnt how to reframe and wire shots on final cut pro.

- Another good thing I was able to do was filming a close up shot at the same time making a reaction shot out of it (opening eyes).  I did this by making sure the eye was the centre of focus and taking various shots of this and choosing the best one that I believed had the most impact on my audience.














- As the prime editor of the group, one of the good things I was able to do was fast pace editing which created an exciting atmosphere for the audience as well as building up tension and rising up their level of fear. I did this to push my target audience to the edge of their seats whilst witnessing the actions on a faster paced. What was good about this was that I learnt how to cut down shots and trim them to get the best footage available.

- Another good thing I was able to do was creating a soundtrack/sound effects on GarageBand to match up with the footage at the right moments to empathise the actions within the scene which created fear and terror for the audience. I did this to panic the audience as well as breaking their expectations which they were not anticipating to see something so sudden. This was good because I learnt how create an original soundtrack/sound effects to build an intense atmosphere. This is something I didn’t use for my preliminary; I just kept the background noise and dialogue.
Compare 3 images of preliminary to final product:
The first image from the left shows the framing of the character from high angle and middle shot where the character has not been fully focused and highlighted carefully whereas on the right, the angle has been improved as well as the size of the shot to shows that the character has been focused more effectively and to show his facial expressions without empty spaces.
 
 The first image from the left shows the framing of the two characters walking from the used of long shot where there are a lot of background spaces which wasn't needed. On the other hand, the image on the right has been taken from a lower angle and the size has been increased which highlighted the relationship between the two character and is easier for the audience to understand what is going on.

In this image on the left, it shows the two character walking from the back. Again, there are a lot of spaces which wasn't needed and looked casual as if the two character just going for a walk. However, on the second image on the right, the size has been increased and the used of low-key lighting is added. There is no empty spaces which focused more on the character and is easier for the audience to notice the bad intentions coming from this him.


Youtube/soundcloud:  From my preliminary task, we realised as a group that planning became essential in terms of ensuring that we were following all conventions by shooting well and that our editing would be at its best. To help us do this we created a story board, we planned our roles as a group and we also created pre-production paper work where everybody had a copy of, to ensure that everyone knew what was expected of them. All this further planning meant that I have progressed from my preliminary task to my final product.




Timeline:
Personal Reflection:
Overall, I believed that our group has made a successful thriller due to the fact that my thriller does follow the thriller conventions due to the traditional, yet exciting use of the narrative which is conventional to the emotions of the audience that a thriller film tends to create.
During the whole process, I enjoyed filming and editing the most. This is because I found filming very interesting as it has helped me to gain a better perception of how to use the camera fluently and film effectively using various angles and movements. Editing was very enjoyable as I was introduced to it and I have gained a wide range of knowledge on how to use Final Cut Pro & GarageBand confidently. From this, I have learnt to choose the right scenes, trim/cut scenes, create a soundtrack, pick and put the best shots together to make an effective narrative within my thriller.
Things that could have been improved within my thriller was the lighting. This was stated by the feedback I collected from my target audience that it was a little too dark and they couldn’t see some of the scenes clearly. Another thing that could have been improved was the camera angles as the antagonist should be filmed in more low angle shots to make him look more powerful and create more fear for the audience.
In addition, as the role of the co-director I have learnt how to delegate roles to each person within my groups and organise each scenes to make the filming and editing process controlled. The main and most important thing I’ve learnt throughout the whole process is gaining a high level of understanding of thriller conventions. This has allowed me to understand it’s unique and traditional use in of the media industry in order to make the audience feel in a particular way.

1 comment:

  1. Ken, an excellent discussion here of your development from the preliminary to the full task. Examples are discussed and captured which is good with a direct comparison of similar shots and just where you have progressed. You illustrate what planning steps you took after your preliminary task to ensure that the full product would be a success. Good use of ICT used here and good personal reflection.

    ReplyDelete